INTERNATIONAL WORKERS' MEMORIAL DAY 2007
17 April 2007
Dear members of Legislative Council, organizations,
Your support on the International Workers’ Memorial Day needed
Association for the Rights of Industrial Accident Victims (ARIAV) was first established in 1981, by a group of industrial accident victims, victims’ families and patients of occupational diseases. ARIAV’s objectives are to fight for the rights of victims of industrial accidents and occupational diseases and promote occupational safety.
Since 1996, local labour groups and trade unions, spearheaded by the Hong Kong Association for the Rights of Industrial Accident Victims, have participated in the International Commemoration Day for Dead and Injured Workers Day (Workers Memorial Day) - rallies and victims' protests take place every year. We are pressuring the Hong Kong SAR government to:
- Recognize the International Workers’ Memorial Day and respect workers’ and their families’ sacrifice for the society.
- Establish a Central Employees’ Compensation System so that the rights of work victims and their families can be duly protected.
- Keep the employers and the public better informed and pay more attention to occupational safety and health, in order safeguard the workers.
Workers are the foundation of a society and there is an unavoidable social responsibility to protect their safety and health, as well as to support and care for the victims and their families.
The activities for this year’s International Workers’ Memorial Day have been launched in late April. ARIAV, together with the victims and their families are in the later stage of planning a series of actions, and your support and assistance are much appreciated and needed.
ARIAV would like to invite you / your organization to join us for the activities on 28 April. As we did in the past, we would read the Statement for the International Workers’ Memorial Day, which is attached here for your endorsement. We will then hand in the Statement to the Hong Kong SAR government and the Legislative Council. Please find the following documents attached and hope to hear your reply soon.
- the schedule of activities on 28 April 2007, and a reply slip of your participation.
- the background information of the International Workers’ Memorial Day
- the Statement of International Workers’ Memorial Day and a reply slip of your endorsement
Your support is incredibly important for our work and we look forward to seeing you in our activities.
Chan Kam Hong
The Association for the Rights of Industrial Accident Victims
Translated by IHLO
26 April 2007